Sunday, January 11, 2009

Osaka, RIP?

Last night Katja and I drove down to Asbury Park for sushi at one of our favorite restaurants, Taka. We used to eat out in AP all the time, but since we moved to Long Branch we don't get down there much. So when we made a plan to go, I was psyched. Alas, it was disappointing--somehow the rolls weren't as wonderful anymore. We actually send back the sweet potato roll, something we've never done there (it was supposed to be tempura but was barely cooked), and the rainbow roll was no longer to die for. It's a beautiful space and the owner, Taka, is fun, but I don't know. I think it's going to be a while before we go there again. Bummer.

We experienced another sushi disappointment this fall--even more crushing. When we moved here in March, the previous owners had left us a notebook full of local restaurant and takeout menus. That's how we discovered Osaka, a Thai/Japanese storefront just a few blocks away, in a strip mall right by the entrance to 7 President's Park. We ordered something from them soon after moving in. I can't remember what it was, but I don't think I'll ever forget the expression of the guy who delivered it. I opened the door, he looked at me, and his face fell. "They're not here anymore??!" I thought he was going to cry. Okay, the previous owners had clearly been really, really good customers. I told him we'd be ordering from him too. He didn't look impressed.

So the first delivery was memorable. As was the special bonus in the bag--an orange--clearly put in for the previous owners, not us, the new interlopers. I wanted to become an orange-worthy customer. But orange distribution, as I learned, was random. Sometimes you got one, sometimes not.

Anyway, we (esp. me) quickly became Osaka fans. Their food was great--consistently. And here's an unusual (in my experience) thing: they had both Thai AND Japanese food, and both were equally good. The sushi rolls were tasty and fresh, and the Pad Thai with large, briny shrimp was out of this world. And they delivered--fast. How lovely to come on a Friday night, shot to hell after a week of work, and know that food was a phone call away. We became very good customers, indeed. In fact, I developed a little takeout delivery addiction problem.

My addiction is now cured, but not because of any triumph of the will. No, it's because Osaka closed this fall. The first warning signs came when they weren't open every night; this place had ALWAYS been open. Sometimes it even happened on a weekend night. Once they picked up the phone after 20 rings (yes, I was desperate) and said there'd been a kitchen fire the night before. Then one night...20 rings and someone answered to say they had closed. CRUNCH. But, they reassured me, they were just relocating to the West End, to a place where they could have more tables. WHEN? I asked. No answer. I said hey, put a sign up in your window telling people that! They didn't.

Somehow I always knew it was good to last. From the beginning I said to Katja, oh I hope they stay in business, I hope they stay in business. When I went in there (it's right next to my gym--ha) I always anxiously scoped out how busy they were. And they always looked busy to me, so I don't know what happened. I have the pale green menu right here. I'm getting verklempt looking at it.

Is Osaka RIP? I'm lighting a candle, sending hopeful thoughts out to the universe, and keeping my eye out for a West End resurrection

5 comments:

  1. : ( I hope, for your sake, that it reopens at it's new location too. Besides, it sounds really interesting. Why oh why do I have to live in the middle of nowhere? Lol, between you and Sues' blog, I'm reading about all these places I can never eat in because they're so far away. Don't you love how the best places to eat are always either next to or nearby your gym? I swear, it's fates' idea of a funny joke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You asked me if I saw much of the whole 'privileged' theme at prep. To some extent, yes, and to some extent, no. The scary thing is that those who I do see these trends in are the younger ones: the freshmen, the seventh and eighth graders....and they're the students who will one day soon be ruling the school. But, again, for every person who abuses their status, there's always someone who's got their head on straight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma, I think these restaurants set up intentionally near to gyms, because when you get out of the gym, you feel all virtuous and like you've earned food! Very clever of them (or fate, in which case it's a sick joke).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha....there is a pizzeria near my gym and it has the best pizza I have tasted so far... i think they plan this out so that people eat at these places but still feel good about themselves because they just went to the gym...lol...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope Osaka hasn't dyed...it really seems like this restaurant must have really goood

    ReplyDelete